Christmas Dinner and the Egg Allergy

When the holidays come around, I can't help but think of my son's egg allergy.  Everyone knows my son is allergic to eggs and peanuts but issues still arise.  Visiting friends and family becomes a little frightening because not everyone's home is peanut safe.  Our house is peanut safe so we never have to worry but friends and family that we don't visit often have no idea what exactly that means.

Our friends and family have nuts out on the table and offer cookies that contains both eggs and nuts.  It gets a little nerve wracking trying to keep all the nuts and eggs away from my children.  (By the way, did I ever mention I am allergic to tree nuts?) 

Friends and family who do not have an egg allergy or nut allergy use the same sponge to clean all their dishes, or use wooden cutting boards to roll out cookie dough or make peanut butter sandwiches.  This can be a very dangerous situation.

Here's how I handle all the Christmas dinners and visits with friends and family with our food allergies including eggs, peanuts and tree nuts.

1. I remind the host of our food allergies.

2. I always call ahead and find out what is being served.  I do not ask them to change the menu, I simply tell them I will bring our own food.  Most often they will change the recipe or the menu to accomodate the main course.  Deserts are always another issue.

3. I tell the host I will bring the desert and I bring a few types of dessert that I know my family can eat and that our friends will enjoy.  Most people do not know many egg free dessert recipes so they are pleasantly surprised with what I show up with.

4. Even though I have called ahead about the menu, I still bring turkey sandwiches or something else I know my family can eat.  Sometimes the host doesn't realize that something they are baking contains eggs.  Eggs are in so many foods and condiments that it is very easy to make a mistake.

5. Bring paper plates and juice boxes or water canteens to avoid cross contamination of eggs, peanuts and tree nuts.

6. Be prepared in case of an emergency.  I bring EpiPens, Benedryl and asthma medications for all of us.

My favorite egg allergy desserts to bring to Christmas parties and dinners are: Cupcakes, Brownies, Sugar Cookies and Chocolate Chip Cookies. 

Best Wishes to You for a Healthy Holiday Season This Year!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment