Do Twins Have the Same Food Allergies?

As a mother of twins, that was something I was asking early on.  Now science is backing up what parents have always believed.

According to a report from Melissa Teicher at Brynmawr, genetics has a lot to do with allergies but not everything. The study proves that only 65 percent of identical twins tested shared the same peanut allergy. Fraternal twins may share the same peanut allergy in only 7 percent of those studied.

One thing I have noticed in my allergy circles is that there seems to be a link between a particular food allergy and parents and their children.  My child's allergist insisted there wasn't but my unofficial study in a small group of people disproves his untested theory.

In my own family, my daughter and I both have a severe sesame seed allergy.  When I was a child I tested positive for an allergy to peanuts that I outgrew and my son is allergic to peanuts.  In a friend's family, the father is allergic to peanuts and so is his son.

I also believe when I was younger I had an undiagnosed allergy to eggs as I would get severe abdominal cramping after eating eggs and had to run to the bathroom immediately. I was also allergic to milk until I was about 16 that caused severe asthma attacks that would put me in the hospital.    My son was born allergic to milk and has since outgrown it.

Now I wonder, if I outgrew all of these allergies including milk, eggs and peanuts, will my son outgrow his allergy to peanuts too?  Only time will tell if he shares the same gene to outgrow food allergies.  He's already outgrown milk many years before I did.  I haven't outgrown all food allergies but I have outgrown a few and that makes me optimistic.

So the big question still needs more answers.  Do siblings have the same food allergies?  If they do, is there anything we can do to prevent food allergies as babies?

Sources:
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f03/web3/m1teicher.html

No comments:

Post a Comment